Some articles I have written
- The Reality Tests: Physicists in Vienna have begun to test whether quantum mechanics allows for a fundamental physical reality. Here also is the PDF version.
- Truth and Science: A too-short introduction to the philosophical notion of truth in science.
- String Theory Cribsheet: An introduction to the basic principles of string theory.
- Big Science (pdf): About the concurrent rise of Big Science and the United Nations after WWII, and how the one might help the other in its endeavor toward peace.
- A Second (Scientific) Opinion: A group of physicists speak out about the detentions and abuses at Guantanamo.
- Time to Mess With Your Head: A few changes to the way we think about time.
- Big in Japan: Scientists who are treated like celebrities in Asia.
- Intimate with Einstein: A review of Walter Isaacson’s biography Einstein.
- The Periodic Table (pdf): A brief review of Primo Levi’s magisterial book.
- Insignificance (pdf): A review of Nicolas Roeg’s film about Einstein, Monroe, McCarthy, and DiMaggio.
- Quantum Pulp: A somewhat glib take on the similarities between quantum mechanics and crime fiction.
- Arrowsmith (pdf): Review of Sinclair Lewis’s Pullitzer Prize-winning novel about medical research.
- Cyberiad (pdf): Stanislaw Lem’s work of combined Lewis Carroll-like frivolity and Borgesian profundity.
- James Simons: The somewhat reticent billionaire mathematician who runs one of the most consistent and best-performing hedge funds in the world, and who has used his money to improve math education in America.
- Al Jean and David X. Cohen: Two writers from The Simpsons and Futurama with backgrounds in, and a love for, science.
- Limits of Observation (pdf): An interview with Dr. Keith Schwab, a physicist whose research was shown as art at the MoMA in New York.